Friday, August 19, 2011

You're Beautiful to Me

Recently, my aunt went through this surgery where they band her stomach to help her lose weight. She's been overweight all her life, and she's been teased and picked on for it. She's really happy to have gotten this surgery, saying how she'll become thin like me (even though I'm not really all that skinny) and smiling all the time. Everyone is so proud of her, and so happy, and I'm glad she's satisfied, but really, I don't think she needs it.

Have you ever had that one person who you knew would be there for you through anything? That person who you could cry to and tell all your secrets, trust them completely? Have you ever loved someone so much and let them take care of you when everyone else seemed so adamant to ignore your entire existence? Maybe for you it's a husband, wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, sibling, whatever. For me, it's my aunt. Whenever I needed her, which I did a lot growing up in my household, she was always there for me. Without question or regret. She never judged me, and held me when I cried, letting me know she was always there for me whenever I should need her. She's always had my back, and told me how important I was, how smart and kind. I never believed her, but she'd never stop saying it. She was--and is--my true mother ever since my own one starting forgetting about me. Even though me and my actual mom are close(ish) now, my aunt will always, always be my mother. It doesn't matter who you live with, who your parents are are the people who loved and raised you. That is my aunt.

When she told me about this surgery, she was so excited. She was so happy to finally lose all the weight she's had all her life. I can totally understand that, and I accepted it too. I know what it's like to want to lose weight, I can relate to it. I was happy for her! I wanted her to be happy, she deserves a life of luxury and then some, in my opinion. But then I realized it wasn't for actually losing the weight, she got the surgery so she could feel pretty.

My aunt is a 52 year old married woman. She's always smiling and can talk and have everyone's attention in less than a second. Truly, she's a captivating woman. Finding out she didn't think herself as that made me so upset. I mean, doesn't she realize that she's such an amazing person? She's done so well, gone through so much already, doesn't she know that she's gorgeous as she is? Maybe she's not thin, but she is so kind, and so smart, and so loving that anyone who actually gives a fuck about her weight and not her as a person should be shot dead. She's just like me--she was an outcast growing up too. I can understand why she wants this surgery for the reason she did, but does it truly matter?

My aunt will never change in my eyes. She'll always be the hero that got me through everything. She'll be the friend I always had when I needed her, the person I could always laugh with, and the one I could and will always go to when I need advice or help. She shaped me into the person I am today. No other person has had such an effect on me, not like my aunt. I'll never forget anything she's done for me, ever. If I do, then I haven't done her justice. My aunt, no matter skinny or not, will always be my hero. She'll never have a lower place just because of how she thinks she looks. She's beautiful to me, and even if she doesn't see it, I do. She's one of the most beautiful people in this disgusting world we live in, simply because she isn't afraid to be herself, and is always so willing to help the people she loves. She may think she isn't, but she's beautiful, at least to me. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment